[PROP #1][APPROVED] Increase max_bytes and max_gas in BlockParams to increase max TPS

Since the launch of the Dymension blockchain (chain-id: dymension_1100-1), and due to the high load, transaction processing is at times very slow. After discussion with multiple teams including Skip and confirmation on the dymension testnet (chain-id: blumbus_111-1), we’ve come to the conclusion that the main culprit are the current BlockParams, specifically max_gas.

The core team along with partners have found that the current max_gas to be a limiting factor for TPS, leaving more than an order of magnitude of block data capacity non-utilized.
Targeted tests showed significant increase in TPS while managing to fully utilize block size (5mb on testnet. chain-id: blumbus_111-1).

As such, the core team recommendation is to increase two BlockParams namely max_gas and max_bytes. Specifically, the proposal is to increase max_gas to 400000000 (i.e. 400 million) and max_bytes to 5242880 (i.e. 5mb) which is the upper limit of the p2p storms vulnerability report (P2P Storms: Vulnerability Report - Google Docs).

Mainnet block data

Testnet block data post-upgrade

Link(s)

Governance votes

The voting period for this proposal as set on genesis is 5 days beginning from the time of deposit. The following items summarize the voting options and what it means for this proposal:

• YES
  • NO
  • NO WITH VETO - A ‘NoWithVeto’ vote indicates a proposal either (1) is deemed to be spam, i.e., irrelevant to Dymension, (2) disproportionately infringes on minority interests, or (3) violates or encourages violation of the rules of engagement as currently set out by Dymension governance. If the number of ‘NoWithVeto’ votes is greater than a third of total votes, the proposal is rejected and the deposits are burned.
    ABSTAIN - You wish to contribute to quorum but you formally decline to vote either for or against the proposal.
101 Likes